Thursday 5 October 2017

A TBR: October 2017

Hi, and thanks for stopping by.

Today's post is going to be a TBR, but not a regular one. Last month was one of many where my planned TBR went pretty much totally out of the window (although for September, I forgive myself as I was rather wrapped up in a Harry Potter rereading marathon). 
I've been inspired by Lala from the YouTube channel BooksandLala, who makes a genius video every month where she watches a previous haul and any books she still has and hasn't read go first up on her monthly TBR. So, that being said, I have chosen three books this month (that I bought back in May and still haven't gotten around to) that desperately need some TLC!
Besides that, there are three thrillers/horrors I've picked specifically for this Halloween month!
(Hopefully only having 6 set books won't be as intimidating for October, then we can up the anti in November!!)

Holly smale’s all that glitters

My name is Harriet Manners, and I am still a geek.
Harriet Manners has high hopes for the new school year: she’s a Sixth Former now, and things are going to be different. But with Nat busy falling in love at college and Toby preoccupied with a Top Secret project, Harriet soon discovers that’s not necessarily a good thing…

[I don't know why I've put this book off for so long, because I really enjoy the experience of reading a Geek Girl book - they're so funny and light-hearted and easy to get through. It's been quite a few months since I finished Picture Perfect at the start of May, so I'm excited to get around to this one.]

Anna godbersen’s bright young things

It's 1929 and Letty Larkspur and Cordelia Grey have escaped their small Midwestern town to chase big dreams and even bigger secrets. Amongst the glittering metropolis of New York City, they meet Astrid Donal, a flapper who has everything she could ever want, except for the one thing Letty and Cordelia have to offer-true friendship.Set in the dizzying summer before the market crash, against the vast lawns of the glamorous Long Island mansions and on the blindingly lit stages of Broadway, three girls will find scandal, intrigue, and romance.

[I really enjoyed Anna Godbersen's The Luxe and plan to eventually get around to buying & reading the rest of that series, and this is another fun, glamorous sounding story set in a different historical backdrop. Again, I don't know why I've been avoiding it for so long!]

Melissa de la cruz’s masquerade

Preparations are under way for the ball of the century. But as any true Blue Blood knows, it's the after-party that counts. And the cunning Mimi Force is getting ready to make sure her masquerade ball is the place to be for the Young, Fabulous and Fanged. But Schuyler Van Alen has more on her mind than fancy dresses, even if her crush Jack Force, is sure to make an appearance. She's getting closer to finding out what's been preying on the young vamps - and discovering the deadly secrets hiding under the masks.

[I think I avoided this book because the first one was only average-okay and I've been much more excited about other books that I've got to read. But, alas, it turned up on my monthly haul this time around, so I may as well get it read.]

Alex bell’s frozen charlotte

Dunvegan School for Girls has been closed for many years. Converted into a family home, the teachers and students are long gone. But they left something behind... Sophie arrives at the old schoolhouse to spend the summer with her cousins. Brooding Cameron with his scarred hand, strange Lillias with a fear of bones and Piper, who seems just a bit too good to be true. And then there's her other cousin. The girl with a room full of antique dolls. The girl that shouldn't be there. The girl that died. 

[These creepy, horror books are really not my go-to genre at all, but I've heard some really great things about Frozen Charlotte - I think if I remember correctly it might have been a Zoella Book Club book at some stage, too. This blurb makes it sound really intriguing - this is the most Halloween-ey book I own, I think!]

Julia heaberlin’s black eyed susans

Seventeen-year-old Tessa, dubbed a 'Black-Eyed Susan' by the media, became famous for being the only victim to survive the vicious attack of a serial killer. Her testimony helped to put a dangerous criminal behind bars - or so she thought. Now, decades later the black-eyed susans planted outside Tessa's bedroom window seem to be a message from a killer who should be safely in prison. Haunted by fragmented memories of the night she was attacked and terrified for her own teenage daughter's safety, can Tessa uncover the truth about the killer before it's too late?

[Just going off of blurbs, this sounds like the creepiest Adult Fiction thriller that I have on my bookshelves. I actually picked this up to read a month or two ago and then must have gotten distracted somehow. I'm really excited, and slightly nervous, to read this!!]

Lucy clarke’s a single breath

When Eva's husband Jackson tragically drowns, she longs to meet his estranged family. The journey takes her to Jackson's brother's doorstep on a remote Tasmanian island. As strange details about her husband's past begin to emerge, memories of the man she married start slipping through her fingers like sand, as everything she ever knew and loved about him is thrown into question. Now she's no longer sure whether it was Jackson she fell in love with - or someone else entirely...
[I don't know if this will necessarily be as "creepy" or downright frightening as the previous two Halloween picks will be, but I've been really wanting to get around to another Lucy Clarke book after reading and adoring The Blue, so this is my excuse!!]

So these are the books that I am DEFINITELY going to get around to in October - I promise!!! I'm really excited to read some creepy things after a summer full of contemporary loveliness. 
What's your favourite Halloween read? I'd really love some creepy recommendations!

Till next time

Katie

















No comments:

Post a Comment